Google and other search engines consider links very highly. Sorry I should say they consider quality links very highly. But how do you get them?
There are hundreds of ways to generate links but it may seem difficult to know where to start. The days of submitting to hundreds or thousands of link directories are long gone.
Google has cracked down on these links deeming them worthless or even damaging for your site’s ranking.
That is why it is wise to employ a link building strategy that will future proof you against future Google updates.
The long term, sustainable way to generate links is by creating link bait. Link bait includes ideas or content that encourages others to link to it. Creating original and amazing content is the best way to achieve links to your website.
The following is a list of link building ideas for your website from the basic and obvious to the quirky:
- Target the links of your competitors using opensiteexplorer.org
- Make a video
- Run a competition
- Create an infographic
- Get socially active – on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest
- Do regular blog posts
- Share photos on sites like Flickr
- Publish latest industry news
- Give something away for free
- Sponsor a local sporting team
- Support a charity
- Publicise your events
- Guest post articles on other websites
- Write a beginners guide
- Create lists
- Create a frequently asked questions page
- Ask your business contacts, suppliers, friends for a link on their website
- Retweet or re-post interesting content
- Become an expert
- Join an industry group
- Create a forum
- Submit media releases
- Produce a newsletter and publish it on your website
- Be funny
- Do webinars
- Give a presentation at a University or school
- Develop a member badge to put on their site
- Review books on Amazon for your industry
- Interview interesting people
Do you have other link building ideas? Let us know by posting a comment.